Hiro: For The Builders of A Better Internet on Bitcoin
Blockstack PBC is now officially Hiro Systems PBC. The change to Hiro will mark a renewed focus on developer tools for the user-owned internet, while more clearly delineating the company and ecosystem. → Learn More
Secret Key Labs: Xverse Launch, a Mobile-First STX Wallet
In December, Hong Kong-based entity Secret Key Labs joined the Stacks ecosystem to launch a Stacks mobile wallet, Xverse, which will be available in both English and Chinese. The new entity will be led by Founder and CEO Ken Liao, who joined Blockstack PBC early on as one of the first engineers. In the long term, Secret Key Labs plans to build the user gateway to the Stacks ecosystem, including mobile and desktop apps that enable authentication, transactions, and management of digital assets. → Learn More
Featured Press & Interviews
- During Q4, there were several major releases that were broadly covered in the media including Chainlink’s integration with Clarity, Blockstack’s transition to Hiro, Stacks’ Statement of Decentralization, and OkCoin’s listing of STX. Other announcements included the Stacks 2.0 milestone of reaching the Krypton phase, the release of the Stacks economic model, and Staked’s support of Stacks.
- Stacks was mentioned alongside topics such as the anniversary of Bitcoin’s whitepaper, a feature in Decrypt on where Bitcoin will be in 2021 as well as where it may be in 20 years time.
- Stacks had a placement in Fox Business’ tech industry roundup where Muneeb Ali was quoted on the future of Bitcoin amid its recent all time highs. Stacks was included alongside major tech companies such as Zoom, Amazon, TikTok, and Twitter.
- Muneeb chats with Castle Island Ventures General Partner, Nic Carter, about the launch of Stacks 2.0 and its evolution from a securities offering to a freely tradable instrument in the U.S.
- Union Square Ventures, a top US fund that was an early investor in Twitter, Coinbase, Twilio etc, published its thesis for Stacks 2.0.
- Chinese media, BlockBeats, published an in-depth analysis on Stacks 2.0: New Blood in DeFi, Stacks 2.0 Unlocks Bitcoin’s Immense Value (为DeFi注入新鲜血液，看Stacks 2.0解锁原生比特币的巨大价值).
- Chinese crypto researcher, first.vip (头等仓), and media outlet, Chainnews (链闻), published a Stacks 2.0 research report: In-Depth Research Report: Analysis of Stacks Characteristics, Ecosystem and Token Economics (头等仓深度报告：全面解读 Stacks 特性、生态现状与代币经济).
- In Q4, Stacks Korea created more than 150 content pieces across 5 different channels and over 420 media PRs were released. At the beginning of 2021, JoinD, one of Korea’s reputable blockchain media covered the change of Stacks Regulation upon the launch of the Stacks 2.0 Blockchain. [파커] 미국 암호화폐 규제, 코인에 어떻게 적용될까
- In Turkey, Cointag published Stacks 2.0 nedir? Geleceğe ne vaat ediyor? An overview about Stacks 2.0 and the promise it brings to the ecosystem.
- Stacks Pakistan rolled out their City Leads Program called Stacks Developers Guilds (SDG) - A premier consortium of Stackers from Pakistan. They are currently building a presence in the following cities: Lahore, Karachi, Islamabad, Quetta, Peshawar, Abbottabad, and Faisalabad. During Q42020, Stacks Pakistan released 9 PRs in various Pakistani media outlets such as the Daily Islamad Post, The Nation PK, Technology Times Pakistan, Daily Pakistan and more.
The core theme of engineering related work in Q4 continued to be Stacks 2.0.
The Stacks 2.0 whitepaper draft has been released! The paper gives an overview of the Stacks 2.0 blockchain design, connection to Bitcoin, and further technical details. This paper can serve as a helpful go-to resource for anyone in the community, as well as a helpful onramp for those first getting oriented with the Stacks ecosystem. → Read the Whitepaper
During the first week of November, we began an effort called "Docs Week" to reconfigure, refactor, and create technical content, docs system updates, and illustrations to make it easier for new devs to get started with Stacks 2.0. The result was sensational with 47 Github PRs being opened from 17 contributors. The changes resulted in 90+ updated files (2,500+ code line additions and 3,000+ deletions) and made the docs much more accessible, informational, and beautiful! → Read about Docs Week
In October, a number of our developer-focused repositories were reconfigured into a package named Stacks.js. Stacks.js is a reorganization of libraries in the Stacks ecosystem, composed of nine modular libraries all residing inside a single Github repository. With Stacks.js, you get everything you need to build apps on Stacks 2.0 in one place, including functionalities like storage, auth, and Clarity smart contracts. Check out the new package, or the migration guide. → Read the Forum Post
The Stacks Blockchain API Now Supports Coinbase’s Rosetta Standard
The Stacks community participated in 18+ virtual events worldwide, along with 16 AMAs in Q4. Hiro had team members present in front of a cumulative audience of 30k+ viewers!
Soon after ushering in the new year, the Stacks Foundation, Hiro PBC, and the Stacks community celebrated a major milestone: the Stacks 2.0 Mainnet, which successfully launched on January 14th, 2021 to an audience of more than 8,600+ and growing. The event featured amazing guest speakers in the Blockchain and Crypto space along with surprise announcements, app launches, and even a musical performance. To view the full event, watch it here or read the following blog post.
- 16 AMAs in Q4 2020 + 9 AMAs in Q1 2021 (From Southeast Asia all the way to Eastern Europe)
- LA Blockchain Summit: On Oct. 6th, Muneeb Ali spoke on a “Ethereum 2.0: What to Expect When You're Expecting” panel. View here (20k views).
- Dublin Tech Summit: On Oct. 8th, Muneeb spoke at this annual summit.
- Metalympics: Hiro participated in a virtual gaming event.
- Blockfesta 2020: This past October, Stacks Co-founder Muneeb Ali spoke at this event, which was part of Korea Blockchain Week.
- Blockstack co-hosted Redefine on October 16th, an event on ‘’Rewriting the rules of DeFi” that covered topics like understanding DeFi fundamentals, risk-assessment, and gaining clarity for what the future holds for DeFi. The event attracted over 3,265+ attendees and featured talks such as:
- Paris Blockchain Week: Muneeb discussed “Crypto & the Next Internet” at this widely attended event on Dec. 9, 2020.
HackStacks: HackStacks gave the community their first chance to experiment with novel Proof-of-Transfer (PoX) Mining & Stacking functionality. The winning submissions truly demonstrated the power of PoX, and showed that users are hungry for platforms that streamline the process! → View the Winners
Hack DeFi: The DeFi ecosystem in blockchain is currently exploding with activity. There are hundreds of platforms that let you participate in interesting, value-generating operations with your crypto. With Hack DeFi, we wanted to see some of those robust decentralized finance applications that Stacks 2.0 & Clarity enable. Hackers stepped up big time and cranked out some behemoth smart contracts! From token exchanges to DAOs, we are already seeing a dApp ecosystem emerging on Stacks. →View the Winners
Daemon’s Mining Challenge: The mining challenge saw over 200 registrants and helped prepare miners for a successful launch! → View the Winners
By the end of Q42020, our online community had more than 40,000 members with steady growth in Turkey, Philippines, Korea, China, and Arabia. Shoutout to all the Stacks leaders for building their communities from the ground up!
Stacks 2.0 App Progress & Community Contributions in Development:
We’re thrilled to have showcased some of the amazing apps being built. See featured ones below.
- Secret Key Labs — mobile wallet and authentication update
- Pravica — a Web 3.0 communication suite
- BlockSurvey — private and secure forms and surveys
- Boom Wallet — STX wallet and NFT generator
- BTC.US — .btc domain names
- Dualx.Finance — yields on crypto buy options through a DEX with Dual Asset Deposits & Gamma Trading
- Factr.finance — Factr leverages the latest decentralized finance technology to offer a transparent, seamless invoice factoring experience
Anyone interested in building an app can apply for funding via Stacks Grants.
Eighteen Stacks grant applications were approved in Q4 2020. Grant projects include an innovative hardware wallet, a marketplace for NFTs, educational content for Polish audiences, a STX mining bot, an encrypted video streaming platform, and more. → Check out the grant recipients
Stacks Pakistan and Stacks MENA officially launched with their initial focus on expanding education and awareness throughout their local regions by educating developers, startups, and enterprises through a variety of activities including partnerships, entrepreneurial events, summits, hackathons, and other activities.
Community Stacks 2.0 Whitepaper Translations
International Community Content Spotlight: